CRPS, or Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (Type 1), is a change in the nervous system that's usually triggered by a very painful episode. The bad kinds affect the brain, nerves, muscles, skin, metabolism, circulation, and fight-or-flight response. Lucky me; that's what I've got. ... But life is still inherently good (or I don't know when to quit; either way) and, good or not, life still goes on.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Radiation and sudomotor silliness

My hands and feet have been getting very swollen. My hands puff up on the phone or computer especially; with a bit of training, I bet I could learn to feel just how many rads are coming off of which hotspot, just by the icky feeling and instant puffiness. (Puffiness is driven by a neuro-vaso-muscular response called the "sudomotor response." Also drives sweating.)

I left the computer off & unplugged for 24 hours. Left the phone at home while I was out today. Hands: hardly puffy at all, until now -- they're inflating as I touchscreen this entry. Mood: ooooh, grouchygrouchygrouchy. And such a headache...!

Think I'd better back off on the radiation. I do not need that kind of physical or mental alteration. I do need the tech, but I can manage it better.

I knew my hands inflated near my devices, but the confirmation that they don't inflate normally was a relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for commenting!

Pushing a product? If so, be clear about how or why it works -- I'm a geek; I need the data.