CRPS, or Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (Type 1), is a change in the nervous system that's usually triggered by a very painful episode. The bad kinds affect the brain, nerves, muscles, skin, metabolism, circulation, and fight-or-flight response. Lucky me; that's what I've got. ... But life is still inherently good (or I don't know when to quit; either way) and, good or not, life still goes on.

Monday, December 10, 2012

Whiplash...but the good kind

We now have a cute li'l trailer, sufficient to our simple needs:

 

I lived on a sailboat for years, and J is a camper from way back, so we think it's about right. I can hear some of you gasping and a few saying, in slightly strained tones, "Well, if you're sure..."

It'll do for now.

We paid too much for its years, but about enough for its general condition. It's clean and tight and, with a few electrical personality issues not surprising in something 30 years old, is in very good shape inside. That is, the cushions, cupboards, furnace and water-heater are excellent!

The trick is finding a place to put it.


We look weird on housing apps.

This is new territory for us.

My nursing and writing/software resumes were irresistible, or so I assume, since I hardly had to look for jobs; they'd just as often come looking for me. J's carpentry work is second to none, as his rate of re-hire attests. Too bad so much of it was in Mendo, where people change their phones like normal people change their underwear.

Work aside, I'm highly mobile (always have been, except when disease really slaps me down) and J is moving out of a region of the country which, in my view, is a total pit. Among other things, anybody who looks Native American (as J does) looks like a punching bag to the local thugs, uniformed and otherwise.

And, since we're both now a little daffy, it's not like we have the routines nailed down. As J says, "We put our two screwy brains together, and we've got one pretty good one."
Still, I've always paid my rent on time, even in the worst of times; and J has survived 62 years as a neatly made, brown, feisty dude of less than average height. Persistence is key, in housing as in chronic disease. He is certain something will come soon. Meanwhile, we keep doing the rounds.

***

No sooner had I entered and saved the above then, on J's advice, I called the manager of the mobile home park we wanted to buy a home in, just to ask if he might have anything...

He had one RV spot left.

It's huge, has already been dug over and gardened in, backs onto a creek, has good neighbors and a manager who likes us, and it's in budget (just). He took to us so much, he's trusting us to move in Wednesday and do paperwork when I'm back the following Monday.

On our previous visit, I gave him a jug of real old-fashioned maple syrup from his old home and mine in rural New England. That might have made us more memorable.
Img from this intriguing article: http://www.ishs.org/news/?p=1588

My well-honed reflex is to wait for the other shoe to come flying out of the dark and whack me upside the head.

My determination is to be profoundly grateful, a good citizen, and maybe re-learn how to relax...

Meanwhile, I'm  off to see my new doctor in LA...

I'm leaving tomorrow on a 2-day trek down. I'll stop for a visit with relatives, giving J free rein on getting us plugged in, set up and organized. He's going to enjoy that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for commenting!

Pushing a product? If so, be clear about how or why it works -- I'm a geek; I need the data.