CRPS, or Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (Type 1), is a change in the nervous system that's usually triggered by a very painful episode. The bad kinds affect the brain, nerves, muscles, skin, metabolism, circulation, and fight-or-flight response. Lucky me; that's what I've got. ... But life is still inherently good (or I don't know when to quit; either way) and, good or not, life still goes on.

Monday, July 23, 2012

Not even anger is wasted

I've been struggling with how to make certain changes when my mind and body are so intolerant of change. I'm not naturally intolerant to change -- quite the opposite! -- but CRPS makes changes cost me a whole lot more.

Selling my home of 6 years, moving twice in one month to different regions under difficult circumstances, starting a relationship (which quickly became long-distance), having a setback with CRPS, and getting a windfall, is a heck of a lot of change in less than two months.

Some of them are good changes (for a change, ha ha) and am I ever grateful for that! But they cause significant shifts in the mind, which causes significant shifts in the body. ...With chronic CRPS, there's simply no practical difference between physical shifts and mental or emotional shifts any more. The domino effect is complete.

I had malabsorption syndrome for a few weeks there, where all my food went whizzing through me and I couldn't get much nutrition out of it. It has settled down, but I still have considerable endocrine weirdness and I'm gaining too much weight (more than my intake should cause.) This means my feet and knees are under still-heavier attack from CRPS and fibromyalgia.

I find this disturbing enough to be frightening -- if my feet get wiped out, there goes my one good form of exercise -- until I got reminded of one of those things I used to know, back when philosophy was easy, before this past decade's descent into Hell: "Fear and sorrow inhibit action... anger generates it. When you learn to make proper use of your anger, you can transmute fear and sorrow to anger, and anger, to action."

That's from Millman's Way of the Peaceful Warrior, a book I couldn't read for years because allegory's contrived tone always put me off. One of the great advantages to getting my butt so severely kicked for so long is that I finally shed a lot of intellectual arrogance; I can now stomach the clumsiness of allegory, if there's something worth gleaning from it.

That tip alone might be worth the effort. I've got plenty of anger, and rightly so. Rather than always managing it out of sight, I can dump my fear in there, where I can use it.

Chosen change is mine. Make way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for commenting!

Pushing a product? If so, be clear about how or why it works -- I'm a geek; I need the data.