CRPS, or Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (Type 1), is a change in the nervous system that's usually triggered by a very painful episode. The bad kinds affect the brain, nerves, muscles, skin, metabolism, circulation, and fight-or-flight response. Lucky me; that's what I've got. ... But life is still inherently good (or I don't know when to quit; either way) and, good or not, life still goes on.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

A bad day

I thought being able to live would ease my system. Unfortunately, my hands and feet are freaking out and going suddenly, rapidly downhill on pretty much the same trajectory as a week ago. I'm having the natural feelings that all artists, crafters, musicians and handyfolk have as they contemplate a plate of wieners at the end of each hand and wonder if this is finally it.

Reaction setting in? Perhaps. It occurred to me that even a surge of _positive_ emotion is still a huge shock to a fragile system. What I know for sure is that today has been the worst pain day I can recall. Off the charts.


Lacking a boyfriend, I'm contemplating my next pet: something with rough fur, since cuddling with texture helps my arms' skin normalize sensation a bit. That could help.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you :-)

    I took a megadeath pain pill last night, boosted it with an anti-nausea med that coincidentally puts me to sleep, and woke up feeling remarkably human with less-swollen hands. A friend talked me into going hot tubbing at about the time you sent your good thoughts, and I'm nearly back to normal (whatever that means). Quite a recovery!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for commenting!

Pushing a product? If so, be clear about how or why it works -- I'm a geek; I need the data.