CRPS, or Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (Type 1), is a change in the nervous system that's usually triggered by a very painful episode. The bad kinds affect the brain, nerves, muscles, skin, metabolism, circulation, and fight-or-flight response. Lucky me; that's what I've got. ... But life is still inherently good (or I don't know when to quit; either way) and, good or not, life still goes on.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Extreme Moderation: an Olympic challenge

I got on the wrong train today. Got off 15 minutes later - was already 15 minutes late, so now it's pushing an hour.

Ok, so the pain is up lately, not much sleep for a week, lot going on, etc. etc. The fact is, that's how my life is: pain, survival, and figuring out how to handle normal issues under abnormal circumstances -- this is just life.

I'm paying a lot of attention lately to navigating & negotiating these realities without succumbing to the inherent drama. One can have enough of drama, however seductive & compelling it is.

The fact that pain, survival and abnormal circumstances make the most thrilling narratives doesn't make this an easy task. But who needs easy? It's boring.

Y'know, I never thought of it that way before....

Here's a new sport: Extreme Moderation -- staying on top of my own responses and managing intelligently when my body plonks or my brain goes AWOL. What an interesting challenge for a recovering adrenaline junkie.

I've often said that, when you're skirting Paradox, you're close to naked Truth. So I think I'm onto something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for commenting!

Pushing a product? If so, be clear about how or why it works -- I'm a geek; I need the data.